Monday, August 15, 2016

Yonggeumok(mudfish soup) @ City Hall/ Eujiro 1-ga

My favourite Korean eatery that I would say is my hidden find! You don't read it in much places but it's one of my favourite eateries in Korea and definitely the most traditional one I've been to. They sell Chueotang, or Mudfish Soup.
I found out about this shop after researching about hot soups along Line 2 since I was really craving hot soup after a day at Carribean Bay. It was also pure luck that this place was easy to locate, in between City Hall station and Eujiro-1-ga! I'd recommend getting off at Eujiro-1-ga at City Hall station was really big and hard to navigate. 

The location was convenient but the actual shop could be rather hard to locate. We tried using Google Maps but it's pretty inaccurate in Seoul and we nearly gave up.. then we turned into a lane and saw it! Just keep a lookout for this sign outside the shop.

Address: 165-1 Da-dong, Joong-gu, Seoul 서울 중구 다동 165-1
Hours: 10:30am~10pm.on weekdays;
 closed every second and fourth Sunday of the month 

This traditional restaurant won an award regarding heritage preservation. I have a soft spot for traditional restaurants and really hope this restaurant continues to operate for a long time to come.

The name itself might scare you off, but you really have to try it! At 10,000 won, it's definitely worth the price. They gave so much ingredients it filled me right up without even having to touch the noodles, but my companion said the noodles were really soft but chewy with a great taste, unlike our yellow noodles in Singapore with a strong alkaline taste.
Here at Yonggeumok: you can choose to have your food the traditional way (mudfish in the soup) or the less cumbersome way (ground up mudfish in the soup) and we chose the former even though it meant that the mudfish would come with (edible) bones for the sake of tradition.
The soup tasted really homely but the mudfish required intense chewing due to the plethora of bones. They added so much ingredients-- full of mudfish, tofu, beancurd puffs and vegetables!
One dish encompassing both quantity and quality? Yes, please!

 Their plethora of banchan! I didn't try the garlic but my favourite banchan was definitely the beansprouts here with free refill! I love the food here, and the service is homely and impeccable.
After this meal, take a short walk to the nearby Myeongdong to digest your food!

No comments:

Post a Comment